Interesting facts About Konark Sun Temple
- The Konark Temple is the most exciting tourist attraction in Orissa. The term ‘Konark’ has been derived from ‘Kona’ and ‘Arka’ that mean ‘corner’ and ‘sun.’
- The Konark Temple was built by King Narsingha Deva in 1250 AD to commemorate his victory over Muslims.
- This temple is basically dedicated to Lord Surya or the Sun God.
- The temple is made up of black granite and is also known as the ‘Black Pagoda.’
- Its construction took a long time- a span of 16 years.
- The Konark Sun Temple is shaped like a big chariot representing the Sun God’s chariot. It has 24 wheels and is pulled by seven horses.
- The spokes of the wheels serve as sundials and the shadows cast by these can give the precise time of the day.
- The Sun God’s chariot in Konark Temple actually represents the seven days of the week, and the 24 hours of the day.
- In the temple, there are three images of the Sun God, positioned to catch the rays of the sun at dawn, noon and sunset.
- It is said that the temple was not completed as originally planned because the foundation was not strong enough to bear the weight of the heavy dome.
- Some people believe that the temple was built completely, but there was a huge magnet in its peak that caused ships to wreck near the seashore. That is why the dome was removed.
- The Konark Sun Temple was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984.
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, visit: https://mocomi.com/learn/general-knowledge/
@Micky mack Dalpati 🙂
@Micky mack Dalpati Thanks 🙂
@Micky mack Dalpati Thank you!
Thank you, Laxmi ????.
Nice essay for kids. Good job????????????????????????????✌????????
Wow….it is very good to pointing or figure out the main lines.
I liked it very much
You are most welcome, Anavi.
awesome website. liked it very much. Thank you.
thankz for helping in my history report. this is really a usefu; site for projeects
VERY NICE INFORMATION