What is an essay?
Essays are brief, non – fiction compositions that describe, clarify, argue or analyse a subject. An essay is composed of an introduction, body and conclusion. An essay will teach you to communicate with specific readers as it is a shorter form of communication with a clear beginning, middle and end.
Basics of essay writing
The purpose of your essay is determined by your goal. Some essays will be to either inform, to persuade, to explain or to entertain.
To write a good essay, it is very important to first understand the purpose and the title. A good title will make sure you :
- Understand the precise task set by the title.
- Identify the right research or reference material.
- Divide the content of your essay before you begin to write it, which is introduction, body and conclusion and are able to have a clear thesis statement.
- Are able to construct informative content in the body text and have an effective conclusion for it.
Importance of research in an essay
A well researched essay is interesting to read as well as makes sure, the reader can understand what you are trying to say, without too much trouble. Research makes sure you have understood and can prove what you are communicating.
How to organize your essay?
A well written essay makes interesting reading, irrespective of the subject. Some of these points help you to write it better.
- After you finish, read it again and see if it has covered the points you want to communicate.
- Is the language kept clear, without the use of words you do not understand?
- Made sure your body text essay is divided into paragraphs to separate or breakdown the points or topic you are discussing.
- Make sure your essay has enough examples if it is explaining something.
So, how to write a good essay?
Here is a simple way to write a good essay.
Step 1. Title of the Essay
- Decide the title of your essay.
Step 2. Introduction of the Essay
- When writing the introduction, remember, the introduction should have two important parts. A sentence outlining what your essay will be about and a sentence outlining what your point of view on the subject of your essay is. It should be interesting enough to attract the attention of the reader.
Step 3. Text Body or Content Text Body of the Essay
- Writing the body of the essay requires that you organise the subject of your essay into parts.
- Divide each point into paragraphs. Illustrate and support the points with research, diagrams, illustrations and comparisons to explain it well.
Step 4. Conclusion or Ending to the Essay
- Writing the conclusion will help you put together the points you have discussed in the essay into a simple and logical way. Make sure it is brief and presents your point of view well.