He is one of the most famous Portuguese soccer players in the world and has played for Manchester United and Real Madrid.
He is the highest paid footballer in the world and in the history of football. Each year he earns a base salary of $40 million and extra $30 million from endorsements.
Early Life of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Ronaldo was born on February 5, 1985 and was named Ronaldo after the then US President Ronald Reagan.
- He grew up in a poor family and had to share a bedroom and bathroom with his older brother and two older sisters.
- He started playing soccer at an early age when he was just eight. He was always running away from doing homework.
- He was nicknamed ‘cry baby’ because he felt bad when he used to pass the ball to his friends and they couldn’t score.
- A very popular student in school, Ronaldo was expelled at the age of 14 for throwing a chair at his teacher who Ronaldo thought disrespected him. He then turned his entire attention to soccer and went on to become the world’s greatest soccer player.
- But at the age of 15 Ronaldo was diagnosed with ‘racing heart’. His condition was serious and would have made him let go of football. But a surgery saved him and he went back for his training.
- At the age of 17, Ronaldo played his first professional game for the ‘Portuguese Super League.’
- In 2003, for the first time, Manchester United paid such a young player 12 million pounds as a signing amount. After this there has been no looking back.
- Arnold Schwarzeneggar has labelled Ronaldo as the fittest athlete in the world. His body fat ratio is just 10%!
- Ronaldo has an amazing ability to jump really high. This gives him an advantage to make goals as he can jump head and shoulders higher than other footballers.
- He can produce 5 times more G-force than a cheetah during a take-off on his jump! His free kick speed is 13.1 kmph, equivalent to a space shuttle!
- On June 2010 Ronaldo became the fourth footballer ever to have a wax statue at the Madame Tussauds museum in London.
- In his hometown there is a museum, Museu CR7 which is dedicated only to Ronaldo containing his trophies, medals, rare pictures and everything related to Ronaldo.
- Ronaldo was doubtful about wearing the Number 7 shirt because he thought it would be too much pressure on him as the number 7 shirt was worn by legends like Johnny Berry, Eric Cantona and David Beckham. After wearing it, he was forced to live up to the number.
- Ronaldo donates blood regularly and does not smoke or have any tattoos on his body.
- Ronaldo has won the FIFA world player of the year award, Ballon d’Or, the Golden Boot, and has been named the UEFA Club Forward of the Year as well.
- Ronaldo also has a fashion boutique named CR7 and models for men’s fashion wear. The store is famous for featuring diamond studded clothing.
- He is rich and famous but is always involved with charity, fund raising and donations to NGOs. He has funded schools in Gaza and also acts as the Ambassador to Save the Children and The Mangrove Care Forum in Indonesia.
To read more interesting biographies of famous people, browse though our huge collection of short biographies for kids.
Thank you, CHRYS. Glad you liked it.
This is brilliant. I’ll use it as part of homework for my student of English who loves Ronaldo! This text is easy to read, so we won’t be stopping every two seconds for unknown words. Ronaldo is such a good role model as he teaches hard work & dedication.
I just love RONALDO
He is mah Hero
Its very good info about him????
I love Ronaldo. He is the best player in the world compared to others.
I love Cristiano Ronaldo. In my opinion, he is regarded as one of the best footballers in history!